Discovery® Elbow System
The Discovery® Elbow System features spherical condyles on the hinge to allow for increased articular surface contact. Hinge laxity allows for proper anatomical varus/valgus movement in the elbow, and the spherical condyles can be assembled in the joint from a posterior approach.
- Spherical hinge reduces wear by providing increased articular surface contact area between the humeral and ulnar components
- Varus/valgus laxity of 7 degrees
- Optimized hinge size addresses individual anatomy by allowing any humeral component to be used with any ulnar component
- Posterior hinge allows for assembly or disassembly without compromising either epicondyle
- Bowed stem reproduces anatomy through 5 degree lateral offset and 5 degree internal rotation
- Cylindrical base preserves bone to minimize stress risers at the supracondylar columns1
- Anterior flange for enhanced rotational stability and to help prevent posterior sublaxation
- 23 degree anterior neck angle of stem allows for anatomic axis of motion
- Polyethylene offset and lateral bow provide for reproduced anatomy
- Clinically proven ArCom® polyethylene reduces the possibility of stress hemi-delamination and early polyethylene failure2,3
- Figgie, M. P. et al. Total Elbow Arthroplasty. Total Joint Replacement. 659-706, 1991.
- Won, C.H. et al. Effect of Resin Type and Manufacturing Method of Wear of Polyethylene Tibial Components. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 376: 161-71, 2000.
Currier, B. H. et al. Effect of Fabrication Method Resin Type on Performance of Tibal Bearings. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. 53(2): 143-51, 2000.